1994-1996: Asdee win their first NKC match

Please follow and like us:

In 1994 the juniors reached the quarter-final of the Murphy Cup, going down to Brosna. The seniors put it up to Desmonds, former all-Ireland club champions, in the The senior North Kerry senior championship at Finuge and Beale won the Jack Walsh cup. semi- final. 1995 was another successful year with the seniors having a marvellous season in capturing the North KerrY intermediate championship but not until after some anxious momnents and very exciting games. Bally B were as always ready and waiting, for the semi-final clash. We always seem to have to face Bally, it’s like a magnet drawing both teams together. It was a very tense week prior to the game and must rank as one of the most talked about games for quite a while. A bumper crowd at Ballylongford saw the sides finish level at 1-8 each and it was back to home ground for the replay and more drama and excitement where it took extra time to separate two evenly matched sides. Asdee got the verdict in the end, 2-20 to 4-20. Moyvane were our opponents in the final played in Ballylongford on Wednesday, August 9, and another large crowd saw a great battle with John Kennedy saving the day for Asdee with a magnificent point from near the end line to end the game all square, 0- 11 each. The replay was on August 31 st at the same venue and on this occasion Asdee made no mistake and captured the intermediate trophy in 1995. It is worth noting that the gates for these exceeded all intermediate championships down through the years. Long live Bally and Asdee. The only change in the teams for both games was Barry Healy replaced Danny Finucane for the replay. The team was: Gerdie Carroll, Martin Costello, Tom Kennedy, Kevin O’Callaghan, Mike O’Connor, Jerry Lyons, Tom Long (capt.), Sean Doran, Sean Mulvihill, Patrick O’Brien, Mike Griffin, Eoin O’Mahony, John Kennedy, Barry Healy, Ger O’Connor. Subs., Donal O’Carroll, Sean “Black” Stack, Neilie O’Connor, J. P. McElligott, Donie O’Keeffe, Danny Finucane and John Joe O’Carroll. The league campaign was also very impressive with just a few minor obstacles on the way which cost the club promotion. Nevertheless, with the team well up in the top four in the league we qualified for a tilt at Ballyduff in the semi-final and were successful. Castleisland were our opponents in the league final at Finuge on Wednesday, September 6th. We never played to our potential on the day and the chance of a league and championship double failed, going down 0-12 to 0-6. After all the years of striving to get out of division 5 of the county league, it finally came to pass in 1995 and another chapter was written for the local sporting history books. A glorious run in the county league meant a play-off for promotion to division 4 if we could overcome Skellig Rangers. The mission was accomplished and the team was: Gerdie O’Carroll, Kevin O’Callaghan, Tom Kennedy, Joe McEntaggert, Padraig, Vallelly, Martin Costello, Tom Long, Sean Doran, Sean Mulvihill, Patick O’Brien, Donie O’Keefe, DannY Finucane, Eoin O’Mahony, John Kennedy and Ger O’Connor. Subs., Kevin VallellY, Mike Griffin, Neil O’Connor and John Joe O’Carroll. Our Juniors reached the Murphy Cup final only to fail to Gael Rangers. And so we come to 1996 and many important decisions were ironed out and the field opening date was confirmed. The seniors reached the North Kerry league division 3 final only to be defeated by Ballydonoghue which was the club’s second year in succession to be defeated at this stage of the competition. However, as a result of winning all our games in the league promotion to division 2 was gained for 1997 and a meeting with some of the top clubs in North Kerry. The county league performances were magnificent as this was a most difficult division to be in but the team showed real character and were most unlucky not to gain promotion to division 3. The juniors failed again at the semi-final stage of the Murphy Cup to bogey team Gale Rangers. Then came the glamour competition in North Kerry, the senior championship where we were drawn against Ballydonoghue with the game scheduled for Moyvane. A very well Prepared outfit gave their all and got the reward and the rest is history and for the first time in the clubs history we reached the second round of the championship. In the quarter-final against Listowel, an injury hit Asdee side failed to live up to expectations and lost 0-11 to 0-6 at Ballybunion.

For the record that historic team that defeated Ballydonoghue at Moyvane on Sunday October 2nd lined out as follows:
Gerdie O’Carroll
Martin Costello – Tom Kennedy – Kevin O’Callaghan
Padraig Vallelly – Liam Doyle – Tom Long
Sean Doran – Barry Healy
Danny Finucane – Donie O’Keefe – Patrick O’Brien
Sean Mulvihill – Eoin O’ Mahony – John Kennedy
Subs: Mike Long for Martin Costello, Gerard O’Connor for Donie O’Keefe. Kevin Vallelly, Patrick Moloney, Nellie O’Connor, Eamon O’Connor, Paudie Deenihan, Liam Collins and Danny
Mulvihill. Final Score – Asdee 1 :: 10 – Ballydonoghue 1 :: 09 – Referee: James Chassie
Cronin, Duagh.

Both juniors and minor teams lost in the latter states of the league on both
occasions to Duagh.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.